Reuse Restyle Reimagine
Kuwait Sustainable Design Awards
Sustainable Living is continuing to promote a conscious fashion approach. The fashion industry has a waste and pollution problem, specifically with regards to fast fashion and the throwaway culture. In light of the corona crisis, the world is reevaluating the post pandemic recovery and fashion is at the forefront. As a result of the global lockdown, stocks have piled up and are likely to end up in landfills across the world. To help raise awareness of this issue, we have decided to launch a competition with the collaboration of Nass Boutique and designer Roni Helou (www.ronihelou.com), winner of the Fashion Trust Arabia 2019 Ready-to-Wear award to encourage budding designers in Kuwait to work their magic and repurpose/ up cycle old clothes and textiles into new funky must have items.
You are challenged to design for low waste, by re-thinking how clothes and textiles can be refashioned into beautiful items of equal or higher quality and prolonging the life of waste textiles through your creativity.
You can showcase your talent in three categories:
- Fashion accessories
You must source 100% textile waste for use in your collection:
You can use unsold clothing – clothing waste (finished or unfinished) that has not been sold which will be provided by Nass Boutique. (up to 2 items per entry)
Secondhand clothing – any clothing or fashion accessories that have been owned and then discarded by consumers (both used and unused)
Secondhand textiles – any finished non-clothing textiles (such as curtains, bedding etc) that have been owned and then discarded by consumers (both used and unused)
Any combination of the above is permitted
To enter the competition, you must:
- Provide mood board/ ideas / sketches for your application for designs using the unused stock provided as a well as any other textile waste.
- If you are successful in becoming a finalist, you must then make your sketches into viable products.
- You must submit sketches of your design before selecting the textiles you require.
- No complete items are required to be made at the open application stage. All submitted artwork must be your original creations and must not have been previously shown in public
You will be judged on the following Criteria:
- Creative use of material.
- Creative use of one or more of the ‘Design for Low Waste’ techniques zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction.
- Martials used have to be made of 100% of textile waste
- All used materials need to be reused with the exception of bounding materials
Guidance will be provided by our collaborating experts under each category.
It’s not just fashion, it’s not just art, it’s usable art.
The winner will get the chance to work with one of the emerging sustainable fashion brands in the Middle East to learn the ins and outs of the business, and a gift voucher from Nass Boutique. (www.nassboutique.com).
All participants will get the chance to exhibit and sell their creations
The finalists are required to sign an agreement with Sustainable Living KW stating that they agree to the dates, schedules and final terms. In brief, this agreement will require applicants to confirm that they are able to:
- Send their completed competition collection by the agreed date.
- Accept the prize schedules and be available to fulfil the terms of the prize in the event that they win.
- Agree to be filmed throughout the experience for inclusion in a short film about the competition.
- Aged 18 years or over
- Resident of Kuwait.
- Have some knowledge of design
- Applying as an individual (group applications are not permitted).